What happens if I have a sewer problem?

If you have a problem with a possible sewer back-up, please call the main City Hall number at 903-984-5081 on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For any other time, call the after-hours emergency number at 903-983-1559. The field operations crew will be notified for the quickest response. Please call the City Hall number first so we may assess the problem and determine if a plumber will need to be contacted. We will use a sewer jet machine to clear the City main if it is blocked. If the problem is in the service line that goes from the main to your house/building, you will need to have a plumber install a 2-way cleanout in the service line either in the right-of-way or on the property line if there is no right-of-way. 

The City will then be sure the service line is clear from the right-of-way to the main. If this does not eliminate the problem, you will need to get a plumber for repairs.

Sewer Smell

If the problem is a sewer smell in the area, we will record the complaint and issue a work order to try and locate the source as soon as possible. Since this type of nuisance can be difficult to locate, we ask for your patience in allowing us to try to locate and correct the problem.

Show All Answers

1. What happens if I have a sewer problem?