My dog/cat got into a fight with a wild animal. What do I do?

If your dog or cat has been in contact with one of the following high risk animals: skunk, raccoon, bat, fox or coyote, contact the City of Kilgore Animal Control immediately for guidance.  If the wildlife animal is dead or can be caught, then it may be shipped for rabies testing.  Do not attempt to contain the wildlife animal yourself.  You are also advised to consult with your veterinarian.  Your pet may need vet care for injuries, and may need to be given a booster rabies vaccination if he is currently vaccinated, or a series of vaccinations if he is not currently vaccinated.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if I see a stray animal?
2. Where do the Animal Control Officers take the animals they pick up?
3. Who do I call for an Animal Control issue on the weekend or after 5 pm?
4. My pet has gotten loose and is missing. What can I do to find them?
5. I am having problems with skunks, raccoons, opossums, armadillos, etc. What can I do?
6. Is it illegal for an animal to be left in a car?
7. I received a summons from an Animal Control Officer. How much will the fine be?
8. When do I have to vaccinate my dog/cat against rabies?
9. What is rabies?
10. My dog/cat got into a fight with a wild animal. What do I do?
11. What do I do if I find an injured or 'abandoned' wildlife animal?