Kilgore Rescue & Fire
The Rescue Unit is a volunteer organization that performs under the direction of the Fire Department and is supervised by the Fire Chief.
Rescue members are selected following an application, driver’s license record check, criminal history and background check by the Fire Marshal. Additionally a drug and alcohol screen performed by the City Physician. Applicants will then be approved by current Rescue members and the Rescue Chief. Final acceptance and approval will be made by the Fire Chief.
The following qualifications are required to become a member of the Rescue Unit:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- Must have a current and valid Texas driver’s license
- Must have earned a high school diploma or a General Education Degree or pending as approved by the Fire Chief
- Must live within the City limits or in its ETJ unless approved by the Kilgore Fire Chief
New Rescue members are required to serve a six-month probationary period prior to becoming an official member. They are also required to attend Unit meetings and training activities as determined by the Rescue Chief.
Requirements for Probationary Volunteers
Probationary volunteers will need to complete the following:
- Prior to riding out with fire department apparatus the volunteer shall complete NIMS 100.
- Prior to any hands-on participation, the volunteer shall complete the Courage to Be Safe program and Everyone Goes Home.
- Prior to driving any City vehicle the volunteer shall complete an emergency driver/operator awareness class.
- Within one year of joining the Unit, the Probationary Volunteer, shall also successfully complete:
- Certified CPR and First Aid classes
- Introduction to Haz-Mat
- NIMS 200
- NIMS 700
- NIMS 800
- SCBA and Cascade Air System Check-off